Friday, September 4, 2020

Week 4 Lab: Microfiction David

Week 4 Lab: Microfiction

Sheep

David and the Barren Hill

David, a shepherd boy and poet who loved to sing and dance, upon finishing his day's labors, walked through the valley which spoke to him. Suddenly, a voice called "One day you will be king." David turned around and saw nothing but a hill in the distance but decided to approach it. The closer he got to the hill, he noticed a barren tree on top and climbed the hill noting how barren it was entirely. When reaching the top, the tree was made of horn. David at dug the ground with his knife but it was tough as hide.

Lions, Unicorns, and Deer, Oh My!

The hill David stood upon began to move and rise higher realizing he was on a Unicorn. He decided when Unicorn lowered its head to drink would hop off. A Lion comes along that David cannot see from such heights, he demands Unicorn bow for he is king of the animals, the unicorn obliges. David jumps down face to face with Lion and prepares to fight. A Deer scoops up David running him to the nearest village telling David he was sent to rescue a future king. David goes on to become king and turns his songs into psalms.

Bibliography

Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends, Gertrude Landa Text Source

3 comments:

  1. Hi Addison!

    It was a very bold choice you made to write microfiction and I definitely respect it because I never can concise my words enough to make it work. You did an excellent job of telling the story in only two paragraphs as well. It would be nice to have an author's note from you, though, that explains what is going on because I didn't read anything about the Jewish Fairy Tales and it was a little confusing with not knowing what to expect or who David is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Addison! I love the idea of microfictions. You did an amazing job of describing the feelings and the motivations without directly mentioning them. Especially, with only 100 words to do it in. I knew this story from previous experience, but I think that in the condensed version, I understood it better than I ever have. I think, similar to Riley, I would have liked to see an author's note because it helps incorporate how you felt about the story and the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Addison,
    I liked that you took the route with the microfictions as I know it can be difficult to convey a story in that amount of words. One thing I would say is to add an author's note as I did not read the Jewish fairy tales and was a bit confused as to what the original stories were referring to and what David was doing on the hill. The length of the microfictions was very well done though.

    ReplyDelete